With the warm summer months quickly approaching, now is the perfect time to experiment with different ways of planting, specifically planting seeds in a sponge. Although this may not be the most practical method of growing a large number of seeds, it works well for planting a few flower seeds or fast-growing seeds. Planting seeds in a sponge is also a great hands-on learning opportunity for young gardeners because they can learn how plants grow with only water, air and sunlight.
To take part in this fun hands-on opportunity, you’ll need the following materials:
- Seed packet (Try choosing fast growing seeds such as chia, grass or broccoli seeds)
- Water mister
- Shallow plate
After you have gathered the materials, follow these simple instructions:
- Take your sponge and trace a shape on it with your marker.
- Cut your shape from the sponge. (It might be easier to cut through the sponge if it’s wet.)
- Next, soak the sponge again and make sure it’s damp but not dripping wet. Put the sponge on your plate and scatter the seeds you chose across the top of the sponge and gently poke them into the holes of the sponge.
- Mist the sponge often to keep it moist and make sure the seeds don’t dry out. To help keep the moisture in, try putting a clear plastic container over the plate at night.
- That’s it! Just remember to mist it often and enjoy your new growing sprout garden from the comfort of your home. If you do this experiment with children, they will love watching the sprouts grow and will probably be amazed that seeds can grow without soil.
Spongeoutlet has a variety of sponges available at great prices for all of your cleaning and crafting needs. Take a look at our products and give us a call today at 877-776-6430.