During the summer, your bike accumulates dirt and grime after long rides and many uses. Dirt, dust and grime can accumulate on your bike, affecting its performance and causing parts to wear out quicker. That’s why it’s important to keep your bicycle clean.
Don’t use a Hose to Clean Your Bike – Here’s Why
- A good scrub will remove all the dirt and grime that accumulates on the bike frame. However, you do not want to blast your bike with a garden hose, which can push dirt and water into the bearings, making them age faster or possibly seize up. Instead, use a bucket of water, mild cleaning agent and a non-scratch sponge to clean your bike. A sponge like our Instant Erase Super Star Scrubby, Monster Scrubby- Scratch-Free Sponge, or Duo Cleaning Sponge, would be ideal for cleaning a bike frame. The non-scratch sponges will not harm the paint, yet will be tough enough to remove caked on mud, scuff marks and other dirt.
- Immerse the sponge in water and then squeeze the water out over the bike to wet it before using the sponge and soap to clean.
- For cleaning the gears, use a specialty gears brush, which can reach between the cogs. You may need to remove the bike chain from the chain ring or chain wheel in order to get proper access to the gears.
- Be sure to clean the bike chain as well. It’s recommended by specialty biking websites to use a degreaser on the bike chain to remove dirt build-up. A gadget called a chain scrubber can be purchased to make it easier to clean the bicycle chain without removing the chain from the bike.
- Rinse your bike by squeezing clean water over the bike frame to remove the soap and dislodged dirt.
- Dry your bike using a microfiber towel to prevent rusting. Re-lube the drive chain by manually back peddling the chain while you spray or apply the lube to the chain. Don’t forget the pivot points on the front and rear derailleurs.
- You can also apply polish to the bike frame to repel dirt and to keep it cleaner longer.
It’s important to clean your bike whenever it’s dirty and especially before you store it away at the end of summer or fall. If you’re looking to keep your bike, motorcycle, or other vehicle clean this summer, shop Sponge Outlet today for all the cleaning supplies you need.